Friday 22 May 2020

Doodle of the Doctor #1

#RIPDrWho

Growing up in the UK I always loved Doctor Who. My earliest memories of it are the later stories in Jon Pertwee's final series and 'my Doctor' is Tom Baker's 4th Doctor. I don't remember hiding behind the sofa, but I'm sure I must have done at some point. Later my interest in the Doctor fizzled out during the 5th Doctor's time as I got into other things.

I watched some of the late 90s repeats on UK Gold, and particularly remember the 1st Doctor story The Romans late one Friday night while I was drawing Fred in the London flat we rented at the time and the 4th Doctor classic Genesis of the Daleks very early one Saturday morning. If I remember right they used to show a complete Doctor Who adventure followed by two episodes of Blake's 7- another classic... I'd love to do a comic version of Blake's 7.
When it came back in 2005 I started watching it regularly again and really enjoyed the new version, the peak for me being Matt Smith's 11th Doctor.

Just before the 12th Doctor regenerated into the 13th and derailed the show with it's very boring and poorly written scripts, drab monsters, infantile 'let's talk to the audience like they are toddlers' jokes and pretentious condescending preaching, I toyed with the idea of doing a story to send as an art submission to Titan Comics who currently hold the license for Doctor Who comics. I wanted it to feature every Doctor to best show off my art, storytelling skills and understanding of Doctor Who lore. So I devised a plot to feature all the Doctors, their companions and quite a few of the more popular villains. It is  entitled 'The Nexus Trap!' and is suitably set in a quarry on a cold far away planet during the Time War of the modern series. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do a good job scripting it so I pitched the idea to my friend and cohort Lee Davis to write it. It was obvious that such a story couldn't be told in a five page art submission, so we decided to break it down into three five or six page episodes. Lee scripted the first episode and then series 11 with the 13th Doctor aired and my interest kinda fizzled out because it was such a bland mess (the show- not Lee's script or our comic ideas). I did do some sketches of the Doctors to get a feel for them and see how I could capture their likenesses, but I still haven't started drawing part one of 'The Nexus Trap'.

What do you think? Should I go ahead and draw it anyway? Should we still pitch it to Titan? I probably wouldn't be allowed to draw any 13th Doctor comics even if Titan liked my artwork,  because (rolls eyes to the heavens in despair) I'm not female, but I'd give my left arm (I'm right handed) for the chance of me and Lee to do a 3rd or 4th Doctor adventure. Or we could just do it and post it here and on social media? Would it make any Who fans out there feel a bit better after the wilful  destruction of the longest running and most beloved genre franchises? 

Here's a sketch of the real first Doctor and Susan to wet your appetite. It's a traditional pencil drawing tidied up digitally. Let me know what you think in the comments below.



This one is an unaltered sketchbook page no pencils all drawing pens... 


Next Time- Doodle of the Doctor #2

Stay safe everyone.


Coming Soon- Fred Fortune : City of Tomorrow 

If you like what you've seen of Funky Punk so far please follow, subscribe, comment and share. If not, thanks for reading this far and we'll be back with some more comics and other stuff real soon.

#comicsgate
#cguk

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your feedback, please let us know what you think. Feel free to be as brutal or kind as you like. Thank you in advance.